We played with her on Monday night but we didn't bring Duke because we didn't want to overwhelm her on her first night home. She loves being outside but isn't sure about walking on their hardwood floors...too slippery...so she would just sit there and not move.
Last night we brought Duke over to see her and it was bittersweet. See, when Huck died my biggest issue was how do I tell Duke that his best friend died? I was hoping that he would just read our minds, but he didn't. Because as soon as we pulled up in their driveway, he came bounding out of the car, straight into their house, looking frantically for his friend. His tail was wagging so fast and he was just bobbing in and out of each room; he searched the whole backyard. We all got a little teary eyed. Finally he got tired of looking and tired of marking all of new girl puppy's pee spots in the yard and started playing with her. He got her walking all over the house! So that was a big step! It was so cute. She's feisty! She even barked at him once or twice.
I'm not sure if Duke gets it yet, and I'm not sure if our hearts will ever truly be healed from the loss of him, but one thing for sure is that we will always miss Huck. But new puppy breath is good too!
aw, thats sad and sweet. Animals are so great.
ReplyDeleteI didn't even know that silver labs existed. Cool.
ReplyDeleteSo sad to hear about Huck :( I'm sure the new puppy and Duke will become fast friends, though :)
Love and miss you!
-Kate :)