Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Invisible Dog / Near Death Experience

So my dog is as black as night. He's a very handsome man. Last night we were watering the dying tree and bush in the front yard when a couple walks up with a 6 month old chocolate lab, and Duke could not resist...he had to run and play. It turns out that this cute little girl, Milo, was Duke's sister from another litter! Crazy! So we start chatting some more and they are running all over and had run across the street a couple of times. They end up putting Milo back on her leash because the sun is almost completely set and they are just running crazy. Duke runs across the street sometimes, but he's usually smart about it. This time he stopped in the middle of the street. I'm just talking away, thinking he's crossed all the way, but the couple says, "Duke's still in the middle of the street!" and there's a car zooming quickly toward him. I look at Duke, completely frozen in the middle of the street. Then I look at the car, going about 30 miles an hour. I realize that it's going too fast and it's too close for me to rush Duke to safety. I see my little boy's life (and my ability to walk) flash before my eyes and I jump out into the middle of the street, screaming bloody murder (I couldn't find words). I'm like a big X in the middle of the road just bracing for impact and the car comes to a screeching halt a few feet away from us. I yank Duke to the sidewalk and start scolding him hysterically while the car is still sitting there and our new doggy neighbor friends stand in silence. I hear the lady's window roll down and I'm just waiting for her to start yelling and cussing at me. But she didn't. She said, "I'm so glad you jumped out there because I didn't see him at all; I would have hit him." I told her I was sorry and that there was no way of seeing him because he's black and it was dark out side. Needless to say, my adrenaline was pumping and Duke and I said our goodbyes to his little sister and our neighbors without giving them any phone number or anything to schedule to play date we had been discussing before they almost watched us die. Whew. I felt the maternal instinct kick in and did what I had to do. I don't know if that was the smartest thing to have done, but we're all safe. I can't imagine having kids and something like this happening. I think I just postponed by baby making schedule another year after this incident!

This is one of our first pictures with Duke when we were at the breeder's.

His breeder is called Big O Labs and they are in Waxahacie.

1 comment:

  1. He is cute and little! Love puppy breath..that's a random side note. He is still a cutie now. Glad he's still here. Way to go, Mama!

    ReplyDelete