Friday, November 19, 2010

Hmm Whatcha Say...

People say the darnedest things!  Especially to pregnant ladies.

I've mentioned before the unsolicited advice that we all know about.  But then there are the comments as well.

For your humor, I have compiled some things that have actually been said to me.  I will separate them into things NOT to say to a pregnant lady, and things TO say to a pregnant lady...

Things NOT to say to a pregnant lady:
"Miss Lady! You are BIG!!"
"Oh I should have known it was a boy since your nose is getting big."
"You're getting so big."
"Wow!  You just really got big there!"
"I'm going to be interested to hear how long you lasted before you got the epidural."
"You poor thing. You look miserable."
"Your shirt is really struggling there."
"You're getting fatter!"
"You're going to split that meal?  Watch your fingers buddy if you're splitting with a pregnant lady."
"I'm going to take back all your presents if you don't tell me your baby's name."

Things TO say to a pregnant lady:
"You're so tiny!"
"You're all baby."
"You're glowing."
"I think that's fun to wait to share the name."
"Use your 'pregnancy card.'"
"May I touch your belly?"
"You wear your pregnancy well."
"You look great."
"May I help you carry that?"
"You're doing such a great job.  You're going to be a great mom."
"You can do it...just a little bit longer!"

Some other things people say/ask repeatedly that I'm kinda indifferent to, but they get annoying because EVERYONE asks the same things...
"When is your due date?"
"Aww a Christmas babyyyyyy!"
"Boy or girl?"
"What is his name?"

Overall, I've had fun being pregnant.  I just take everything with a grain of salt and keep moving on.  I know I'm beautiful and I'm happy with where God has us right now!

2 comments:

  1. Lol. Love your lists. It seems like everytime someone would say one of the "nots" to me, it was normally an older person who doesn't THINK before speaking!! And, I think sometimes it's a racial thing...I've noticed it seems some LIKE to comment (or be told themselves) that you're/they're getting big/fat. Not I!! With makena, I warned everyone in mine and luke's families that they better not ever call me those words, or I will, without intending to, hold it against them! ;) I debated on waiting to share the name until birth as well, but, we spilled the beans with makena, and luke's sis waited until her delivery to share her child's name, and it bugged me to death FOR HER with everyone constantly, obnoxiously asking. Plus, luke's a HORRIBLE secret keeper!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right that a lot of the comments that seem inappropriate are of different cultural/racial backgrounds.

    I will never keep the name a secret again. It has been so annoying with the constant bugging and pressure. But I feel like it's just too late now to reveal it in any sort of special way. We only have a few more weeks to go! Eek!

    ReplyDelete