Monday, March 30, 2009

Lanyards are Cool

Ryan has been pressuring me for another post lately, so that means I've either been really lazy or really busy. Fortunately for me, I've been busy. Many of you have offered encouragement and prayers for my new job and I'm so thankful for it all! Things have been going swimmingly at the new job. It is definitely different from what I've been doing, but I like the challenge....AND it's rewarding to see women go from cracked out (yes, I can say that in the most literal sense), detoxing, don't-really-care-about-hygiene TO healthy, well-fed, glowing, bathed, head-held-high ladies. Their stories are so special. They steal though. Not from me yet. But us counselors have to keep our doors shut and locked every time we step out. Which is not cool when you leave your work keys at home. We all wear cool name tags with our keys on lanyards. Super neato, I know. But I switched purses and my lanyard didn't make it in to the new purse. So I had to go home today and get my keys because I was sick of asking the techs if I could get into places. On the way home to get my work keys, one of my biggest fears almost came to life.... That is, I almost ran over a motorcyclist. OK, I didn't almost run over him, but the people two cars in front of me would have for sure...and then maybe I would have too.... This IDIOT guy on a bike was in the HOV lane and starts swerving back in forth slowly. It looked like he was trying to see if something was wrong with the side of his tire. Apparently he was dissatisfied with the way his bike was riding and decided to get out of the HOV lane quickly so he could exit. Well, if you're in Dallas then you know what a hazard those little bumps (that used to hold up sticks) are that are supposed to keep people from getting in/out of the HOV at the wrong times. Well the sticks are mostly gone now, and those bumps are causing a major ruckus with traffic b/c people are swerving in/out of HOV lanes and losing control etc. Well that's exactly what this biker guy did. He swerved out of that HOV lane, hit a bump, went flying off his bike a foot or so (which was still swerving underneath him) and SOMEHOW by an ACT OF GOD managed to land on his bike, regain control, and exit all before I could honk my horn and scream obscenities under my breath. Oh man. I was super scared. I've enjoyed reading everyone's blog updates lately. I'm so blessed to be able to follow along with my friends' lives!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad the crazy motorcycle guy is okay...my goodness!

    And I'm super glad that you get to sport a lanyard now. Sweeeet.

    I love and miss you!

    Hugs,
    Kate :)

    ReplyDelete