Friday, March 6, 2009
How Jesus got me a Job
So here's how it all went down with this magical job and why God is so good.
One of the two jobs I've been working at for the past 7 months is a non-profit where I do counseling for individuals, teens, couples, families, play therapy, etc. on a variety of issues ranging from anxiety and depression to trauma, bipolar disorder, sexual abuse, dual diagnosis, etc. It's called Galaxy Counseling Center. There I meet weekly with a supervisor whose name is Cindy. She pretty much knows everything about how I operate in session. She also is the Program Director at Nexus Recovery Center (a women's inpatient drug and alcohol rehab center).
Cindy called me out of the blue last Friday and asked if I would be interested in a full-time therapist position at Nexus Recovery Center. She said that it was great pay, great experience, and great benefits. I was immediately excited about the prospect. Around Christmas, I had already submitted an application to work at Nexus doing PRN, so that part was already taken care of. We scheduled a time to meet Monday so I could check out the job a little better before proceeding.
So I was kind of surprised 3 hours later to get a call from Michelle, my supervisor at my Christian private practice, asking if I had applied for a full-time job at Nexus. Ummm, ok. How'd she know that? Yeah, they had already started calling my references.
Now, many of you are thinking, "OMG! Her other boss is gonna be pissed b/c she's looking for a new job!," but no, Michelle actually encourages us to have other jobs in order to gain extra hours and experience. So she was excited for me, and encouraged me that they must be serious about me if they were already calling references. Looking good.
So I went up to Nexus on Monday and spent some time observing another LPC (Licensed Professional Counselor) doing her daily sessions, etc. I got more pumped about working there. Everyone's very friendly and actually seems happy about working there. I find out there's very little turnover there and that they love working together. The clients are all so different and have such interesting stories. I'm pumped. My background is in trauma and crisis-intervention...and the majority of drug-abusers have some sort of trauma history, so I'm all about it.
I met with Cindy later that day and told her I loved it and wanted the job. So she started telling me about pay and getting all the paperwork drawn up....said she'd call me in the next couple of days. Ugh, really?!? That easy? I didn't even INTERVIEW. Seriously? SERIOUSLY!!?!?
Wednesday Cindy and I met at Galaxy for our regular weekly supervision. She gives me the run-down on the rest of the job description. Paid time off. Benefits. Free supervision. New groups for me to lead. LOADS of hours toward my LPC-Internship (I need 3,000). I should be finished with my Internship within a year or so. Unbelievable.
So I stress breifly about having to resign from Galaxy (I'll be staying on with with my private practice). But yy resignation from Galaxy even went smoothly! Un-be-liev-able.
So you might be thinking to yourself, "Well how lucky is that...a job just falling out of the sky!" And there you'd be wrong.
Because if you know Ryan and I well, you know that our finances are in bad shape right now due to a prior period of unemployment. Ryan recently got a good job, but we've still been struggling b/c my contract counseling jobs aren't exactly bringin' home the bacon.
For some reason I've stayed at Galaxy this whole time, despite the fact that I've been discouraged about the unreliability of client hours I got...and not to mention the measly pay I got for doing a whole lot of work. People would ask (with good reason) why I was still there. But for some reason I felt like I should wait it out. For some reason, every time I prayed about it, I just got "Wait." "Well, that's a frustrating answer, God," was my response. "We are broke. But it feels right, so ok, I'll wait."
We've been praying for relief. Praying that He would grant us financial peace...maybe show me a better route for my career...a better route for Ryan's career...maybe just a lottery win?...I mean a simple scratch off win would be helpful at this point! As we're praying, we travelled to Tyler as well as Austin to visit some friends. We talked to those friends. We talked to family members. We talked to more friends. And we had some interesting conversations with those who love us. God started giving us this turning in our hearts....this preparation for change. We had no idea what it meant. We're thinking, "Are you preparing us to move somewhere besides the Dallas area? Ok, we could do that we guess. Is something drastic going to happen? Just show us, we trust You." And show us He did.
How can I have not even been searching for a job one week ago and today have a job that meets an astounding amount of needs for me and my family? Jesus. Plain and simple.
I don't deserve it. Don't get me wrong, I'm a damn good therapist...but even that I cannot take credit for. Those who have seen me in action say that there are techniques and insights in my therapy that most people at my age and with my (intern) credentials should not know. I don't know how I do it. I know how He does. I CANNOT take credit for this. Any of this. I'm just messy person who has my fair share of hangups and horribleness that I'm solely responsible for. Yet He blesses me anyway. Sheesh!
Are you picking up what I'm laying down? I'm amazed. Thanks for your prayers and excitement.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What an amazing gift from God Tiff! And you told the story so well! Again, congrats! I'm so happy for you and I'm gonna keep up the prayers!
ReplyDeleteJust a mess with hangups and horribleness's, too,
Kate :)