Thursday, July 30, 2009

Allergies? I don't think so.

After much suffering and whining on my part and listening and encouraging on my friends and family's part, I finally got an appointment with an allergy specialist to try to remedy my allergy symptoms. I couldn't take my allergy meds for a week prior because they wanted to give me an allergy test. This wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, though I did have more sneezing. So they give me the scratch test...over 70 scratches...not cool. I lay there for 18 minutes waiting for the scratches to "simmer" as the nurse said, and thinking about how thankful I would be to finally have some answers. 18 minutes later, there were no answers. Because I'm allergic to nothing. NOTHING. Are you kidding me? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I'm SUFFERING with all these allergy symptoms people! I have to be allergic to something! But alas, no. Nothing. He said something about non-allergy allergic reactions which made no sense to me. He also said something about the possibility of my anatomy being built weird in my sinuses which could cause similar symptoms. Ok. Whatever. So he orders me a CT scan to investigate whether or not my sinuses are "anatomically correct" if you will. I don't know if I should be embarrassed by the possibility of being anatomically incorrect or what...it just doesn't sound good. Surgery, he says, can fix it, but he's not saying I need surgery just yet until this scan comes back and we look at the results in a month. So I go to the CT scan alone yesterday morning and wait FOREVER. Everyone else in the waiting room has someone with them and I have no one because I didn't even think that this thing should be a big deal. But with all the time I'm waiting, I start thinking...and worrying about what might happen to me... ...what if there's NOTHING wrong with my sinuses either and I'm just going to have to suffer this way for the rest of my life with no rhyme or reason why??? No answers now is worse than where I started before with no answers. So I'm frustrated and emotional about all this and wish I never even went to figure it out. Boo. But the CT scan went fine. Big swirly thing going around my head a million times. And the workers asking me a million times if I could be pregnant and why I knew I wasn't pregnant. I guess they want to see a pee stick or something because the pill wasn't a good enough answer for them. Anywho. I'll keep everyone updated.

1 comment:

  1. I am sorry. I live with Allergies only they are all in my husband. We think he is allergic to life. He has yet to get a test to find out what or if they are allergies. We just hope that's not the problem. Good luck finding something to fix! Have you always had them? Did they do food allergy tests too? Or just stuff in the air?

    ReplyDelete